If you’re a woman who runs regularly and wants to improve your performance, here are some helpful tips you can follow:
- Work out – That may have raised your eyebrows. You’d probably ask yourself, ‘Why do I need to work out to improve my running?’ Well, believe it or not, doing weight training can actually help you become a better runner. A study showed that doing resistance training three times a week can do some wonders in improving one’s efficiency as well as endurance in running.
- Make waves (literally) – One of the most effective ways you can become a better runner is to jump into a pool and swim. It increases your upper body strength, which makes your runs a lot more efficient. Swimming is also an excellent aerobic exercise. Heard of aqua jogging? It’s a term used for running in a pool. You can also do aqua jogging when you swim to improve your performance in your running.
- Have the right form – One of the things that can significantly affect your running both positively and negatively is your stance. For example, if you always have the tendency to leap forward and stride too far, you can drain your energy a lot faster. There are online resources where you can find the correct way to run so you’re efficient with your energy use so you can run longer.
- Hit the beach – Well, aside from swimming, you can also run in the sand to improve your performance. Yes, running in sand will not only help in improving your speed but also your muscle tone. Running in sand requires around 1 and ½ times more energy than running on pavements. As your body works harder, you get more defined muscles and faster sprints.
- Know when to rest – Some runners can get overzealous and run even when they feel under the weather. You have to listen to your body. If some parts of your body are sore, it’s telling you that you need to take a break from running. Never force the issue so you don’t make matter worse for your body.